10.30.2008

an example of the "challenges and humor in contributing to FCNL's mission"


One of the jobs that interns share at FCNL involves taking guests on green building tours. Usually, the people that get green building tours are Quaker families or tourists who happened in off the street after seeing the War Is Not the Answer sign in our window, but occasionally we give tours to larger groups. Today, Laura, Stephen and I gave a tour to a wonderful group of Methodist high school-aged students from Indiana.

Like any group of high schoolers they were a bit rowdy and had been spending their time on the church bus (10 hours!) entertaining themselves with the Word of the Day game. (Like on Pee Wee's playhouse. Remember? The game where everyone yells and screams every time they hear the word of the day?).

Anyone want to guess what their word of the day was today?

It was "green."

Needless to say, that made the tour a lot more fun (and loud) than I had been expecting.

Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

wait, seriously?! Did they scream every time you said 'green'? I would not have dealt with that very well.... and that's why your the queen of green building tours.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Well, the only really shocking time was when I had just introduced myself to the group and said "and now I'm going to give you a tour of our green-"

...and then I was cut off by a bunch of screaming high schoolers.

Their adviser quieted them down, saying "Kids, we're not playing that anymore!" and then turned to me and said "I'm sorry. 'Green' was their word of the day." After that, 3 or 4 boys tried to yell a couple times after I said "green" but they were quickly silenced by an angry adviser.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home