10.23.2008

The War Machine in my Backyard

Every day I walk by a giant, ominous building that says BAE Systems. Just one red and white sign by the road and a message about the entrance to the building being restricted. I had no reason to think this building was anything but the standard, run-of-the-mill office. Then my host family told me that it had something to do with defense or security. And I started to wonder. Then I opened up the Sept. FCNL Newsletter to an article about military contractors benefiting from taxpaper money and it mentioned BAE Systems.

So I did a little research and it turns out BAE Systems is the 3rd largest military contractor in the world! And they are the 6th most popular defense company for the US to send our tax dollars to. I would like to walk into the building and claim partial ownership because so much of my tax dollars support them...But I won't. Instead, I will just get chills every time I walk by my ominous neighbors and remember every day why I work for peace instead of war.

-Stephen

Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home