12.05.2008

On the Dangers of a Quaker Education

I woke up yesterday to the news that the intern blog is the link between a giant Sidwell School/FCNL Quaker peace conspiracy. A blogger was concerned the about the "radical" Quaker indoctrination that the Obama girls may receive at the school, and he pointed to Caroline's post as a connection between Sidwell and the "hardcore peacenik" organization, FCNL.While I think that this blogger overstated FCNL's connection to Sidwell, the entry got me thinking about the values of a Quaker education. Like most of the FCNL interns I am not a Quaker, but like at least half of the interns I attended a Quaker school.

I attended public schools for my entire grade school career and both of my parents went to world-class public universities. So, for a long time I just assumed that I would take advantage of my home state's fantastic university system. However, when it was actually time for me to choose a college, I realized that I would feel lost in a larger university and needed a smaller school to address my needs. It was also important for me to be involved in communities that nurture my spiritual development, so I felt particularly drawn to faith-based schools. Being Catholic, I naturally began by looking at Catholic universities (I admit to still having a deep love of the Catholic educational system and I joke that I will give my future children only two choices in terms of colleges: Quaker or Jesuit). However, I eventually fell in love with a small Friends college in Richmond, Indiana.

At Earlham, I was able to participate in a learning environment that was grounded in community, while so many other colleges seem grounded in competition. At the time that I was at Earlham, I never once felt that there was an administrator, professor or fellow student who didn't genuinely want me to succeed. The Quaker value of equality permeated every aspect of the campus, encouraging students (and professors) to see beyond the many things that seem to divide us and encouraging us to get to know and love each other as people.

One of the first things that attracted me to Earlham was the Peace and Global Studies (PAGS) program. As a Peace and Global Studies major, I came to appreciate peace as an active discipline, and not merely the absence of war. My PAGS degree had an emphasis in Women and Social Change, and I studied how peace related to a variety of life experiences, academic fields and communities. I was taught that if structural violence exists on every level, structural peacemaking needs to exist on every level as well. What I respect most about the PAGS program was its ability to keep its moral center, while at the same time remaining self-critical and academically rigorous. That is a balance that I found to be true at every level of Earlham's education, and a balance that I appreciate about FCNL as well.

One of my favorite things about attending Earlham was it's ability to be deeply spiritual without being dogmatic in a way that would be alienating to others. I was able to go to classes on Quaker theology and attend College Meeting For Worship, while at the same time attend my own religious events and functions on campus. I hope Friends realize how much we non-Quakers appreciate going to a school that is based on such a beautiful spiritual tradition, while at the same time feeling that our own beliefs are honored and appreciated. The hospitality that Quaker colleges provide to students from other faith traditions is truly amazing.

When I think of what defines the Quaker approach to education, I always end up thinking of two Quaker theologians. One is George Fox and his value of following the truth wherever it may lead. The other is William Penn and his willingness to experiment with "what love can do to heal this broken world." This honest search for truth that is grounded in a sincere love for humanity and the earth has been at the heart of my experience with Quaker education.

I am thrilled for the Obama daughters that they will be given this educational and moral grounding while facing such incredible changes at their young ages. I cannot imagine a better community to support them through this monumental time.

And I am also thrilled for Quaker schools everywhere that they have proven themselves (once again) able to educate and nurture some of the best young minds in the world, whether they be in Ramallah, Atlanta, or the White House.

Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home