7.07.2008

Congress got you down? Escape for a few hours to Canada

With Congress approving amounts of money for war so large that they could instead pay for every American's college education, and then giving some more to help foment war with Iran, I felt the need this week to indulge in a little escapism. I hope, if you will allow me, to take a moment away from the business of Washington and make a humble movie recommendation.

Yesterday I took off the flag pin someone made me wear, put away my fireworks, and went to see a movie about Canada. We are lucky enough in this city to have many outlets for watching unusual and obscure film, and this Sunday found me at the AFI theater in Silver Spring MD, viewing Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg. Maddin is from Winnipeg, and this film is an ode to the city, in the style of "docu-fantasia".

I hadn't really liked Maddin's The Saddest Music in the World (also set in Winnipeg), so I went into this movie with some trepidation. But what made that film tiresome (overly stylistic aesthetic, achieved with fresh footage made to look old) was tempered in this movie with a wonderful and hilarious sense of humor that grounded the whole endeavor. If in the older piece Maddin did not seem aware of the absurdity of his subject and method, in this one he acknowledged that absurdity and enjoyed it, allowing the audience to do so as well.

Bottom line -- it's freaking hilarious, and will resonate with anyone who has grown up, or loved sports, or felt a pang when their home town started to change. Oh, and if you've ever dabbled in the occult or enjoyed bathing beauty contests, there's something in there for you too.

Alright, back to reality. I've been thinking about protest, music, and youth, and I"ll let you all know what I've come up with tomorrow.

Happy viewing!

Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home