1.07.2009

President Bush: A Man of the Seas

The first thing I learned when I came to FCNL was that we pride ourselves on looking for opportunities to work with everyone, even if the organization disagrees with him or her on many
(or even most!) issues. It is the most valuable lesson I have been taught since arriving on 2nd Street.

Given that standard it's no secret, however, that FCNL has been disappointed with President Bush's record on the environment. In looking for opportunities to work with the administration we rarely found openings in the environmental arena. I was pleasantly surprised then, when I picked up my Washington Post yesterday to discover that President Bush has valiently done for the middle of the Pacific what he could not do for the land: protect a vast area of ocean as a national monument.

But is this too little too late? No doubt some of you agree with the New York Times that it is. I am inclined to think that we have found the environmental good in President Bush -- he may not be an avowed environmentalist, but he's not a lost cause either. Who knows what his post-presidency might bring? I am hopeful that it will be not just fundraising and memoir writing, but could possibly hold more inspiring work than was seen (by me) in his presidency.

Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home