1.05.2009

Episode in an Airport

While most of us were out of town or distracted by the atrocious violence happening in Israel and Palestine last week, a small atrocity happened right here in Washington, at Reagan National Airport.

The Post covered the story of 9 muslim patrons of an airline who were asked to leave a plane after commenting on the safety of their seats and their proximity to the aircraft's jets. Incidentally, the women with wearing head scarves, and the men beards.

Now, obviously, I wasn't on the plane, didn't hear the conversation, and am prone to snap judgments (usually about fashion choices) myself. We can't be sure exactly what happened, but the story did get me thinking.

It reminded me that even though I am safely ensconced in a hyper-politically correct environment I will be presented with opportunities when I can choose to behave with respect, tolerance, and compassion, or choose to be motivated with fear, bigotry, and ignorance.

I hope that in the new year I can rise to the standards of tolerance and open-mindedness that make me and those around me feel respected and acknowledged as equal partners in this country and world. Sounds like a resolution to me (and much better than my original one, which was to take better care of my leather shoes.)

Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home