1.21.2009

Notes from the National Mall

First off, let's just get this straight. I am tired, and still a little cold. I woke up in my warm bed at 4:30 on Tuesday morning, and walked down to the mall from my home north of Dupont Circle to arrive at my place on the mall at 6:10 am – only 4 hours until the musical prelude began! So yes, cold and tired, but glad that I went to witness history.

The inauguration felt more serious and solemn than I thought it would, especially compared with the ebullience and enthusiasm of the election. On election night people were dancing in the streets. Yesterday people were huddled in crowded masses trying to get down those streets to reach the metro. There was happiness, but a more guarded sort than on that comparatively balmy night in November.

I think a few factors contributed to this. As I alluded to above, the cold, the crowds, and the state of the economy all put a damper on the unimpeded joy of November. There was hope, but, at least for me, hope tempered with the knowledge that this man who became president yesterday is human, capable of flubbing his oath of office, and capable of making mistakes and disappointing us. In fact, I find the cult of personality springing up around President Obama to be slightly upsetting. The people of the United States (and the world) need to take a collective step back and begin constructively scrutinizing their president.

There was also the presence of former president George W. Bush, who was left out of the celebrations in November. As President Obama was delivering his speech you could spy Bush over his shoulder, a reminder amid the excitement of the mistakes, secrecy and despair we are hoping to change.

But it wasn’t all bad! History was made, and there were moments of giddy excitement. When Vice-President Biden and President Obama took their oaths I grinned, cheered, and waved my flag because specters of torture and racism were falling. When I walked by the White House on my way down to mall I had to pinch myself to believe that someone I respected and who respected my city would be living there. After all, Bush had been president since before I could vote.

Because I think that this is an important moment for Washington as well. As the commentators at a live Slate Political Gabfest I went to on Monday pointed out, Washington is becoming “cool” again. Celebrities want to come here to be close to the Obamas, and the Obamas want to get to know the city. And it’s a pretty great place! I’m excited for a president who doesn’t disdain and ignore it as the Bushes did.

So, as I work to recover from my epic journey to the mall yesterday (I fear it may take a week), I am filled with a somber joy. I am confident that our new president will do his best, but I am hesitant to insist that he will succeed. Turning this country around will be an immense job, and we need to think not just what President Obama is going to do to fix our lives, but what we can do to help raise this country up again. What a blessing that we have chosen a president who will let us try.

Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Caroline, this is a great post and I relate to a lot of it.

Like you said, I feel like I keep needing to remind myself that Barack Obama is actually President of the United States. Like you, I've been living under the Bush administration my entire adult life. It feels like we were all so excited about the inauguration party, that I need to keep reminding myself that he's still president today, and tomorrow, and for the next 4-8 years.

However, I'm also concerned about the 'cult of personality' around President Obama. As he himself keeps remind us, WE are the hope, and we shouldn't pin it on any one person. That limits the vision far too much and, really, puts an unfair burden on him.

However, I notice that you don't seem concerned about the cult of personality around Michelle Obama. ;)

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was on the Mall yesterday and had to respond to your comments concerning President Obama being human and your citing the example of his "flubbing" the oath of office. Actually, it was the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, without notes and at his first swearing in of a President who "flubbed" the oath. President Obama, a constitutional lawyer among other things, recognized the mistake and actually paused to give the Chief Justice time to correct it. When he didn't, the President then recited the oath which he had memorized. Constitutionaly, he became the President at noon with or without the oath. It just proves that sometimes our observations and perceptions are not the "truth" of the matter and that we are all indeed human and subject to mistakes.

Laura Holliday
Houston, Texas

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is a cult the same as movement or is a movement greator then any single member and if so then lets all join this movement for change so we can see the change in others by being the change ourselves. Not just as men or woman but as people hearing a greator calling for all.
Art the poet Martinsburg, WV

7:24 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I love this discussion!

I'd just like to clarify, as there has been some questions and confusion about my reference to President Obama "flubbing his oath." I understand that Justice Roberts gave the President an incorrect prompting. That not the part I was referring to. I was charmed by the first sentence when an excited and nervous President-elect jumped in to take the oath too soon.

Wouldn't you too have been excited and nervous becoming president in front of 1.8 million people?

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home