5.29.2008

When Blogs (and the New York Times) Go Bad

Hello all. This post is a little late, but here it is. This weekend I was reading the New York Times Magazine, and discovered that the cover article was on blogging, specifically how gossip-blogging can negatively effect those who engage in it (sometimes professionally). Here is the article. I don't know if I suggest you read it -- maybe just skim. I found the piece to be whiny, and was surprised that the New York Times decided to publish it.

Why then am I bothering to write about it? Because it reminded me that blogging has a (sometimes deserved) gotten a bad name and that with our little blog here we are attempting to use the medium for good: to discuss ideas, interrogate the issues that FCNL works on, how it does so, and above all, though we sometimes talk about ourselves, not to use this space to drone on and on about our own selfish dilemmas. I am most in danger of doing this I think, and reading about the woes of a whiny blogger has again reminded me to keep my own life a springboard from which to examine the issues of the day.

Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home