9.21.2007

I am an Immigrant.

About Me: I’m the new Legislative Program Assistant at FCNL, working on issues related to the budget, immigration, civil liberties and poverty. Also, I happen to be an immigrant- a first generation immigrant.

Most people I meet would never guess. They are usually surprised when they learn this fact about me. After all, I’m white, I speak English, I have a college degree, I wear JCrew, and I love a good hamburger. What they don’t know is that I also speak French, I eat saucisson, I read Le Monde, and most of my family celebrates Christmas six hours before me.

In 2006, the U.S. welcomed 1,266,264 immigrants from around the world, almost as many as in 1907, when the U.S. welcomed 1,285,349 immigrants. The Department of Homeland Security can tell you exactly the number of permanent residents welcomed each year since 1820, and this number has risen and fallen repeatedly throughout the times.

My family could have floated across the Atlantic with the Mayflower. We could have arrived to help fight the Revolutionary War or as immigrants seeking refuge after Europe was decimated during WWII. Instead, we arrived from France in 1992 along with 973,445 other immigrants from around the world that year. My brother was 13, I was 10, and my little sister was three. Both my parents arrived as medical doctors, much like the 21,911 immigrants in 2006 who arrived as professionals with advanced degrees. Today, almost 15 years later, my brother works for a large urban development company in Boston, I have just begun my work here at FCNL, and my little sister starts as a freshman at Wesleyan. No doubt that the 973,445 other immigrants from 1992 followed equally diverse paths.

And the diversity of the immigrant population cannot be over-stated. Consider:

In 2006, U.S. citizens adopted 20,705 immigrant orphans from around the world, welcoming these children into their homes.

In the same year, the U.S. offered asylum to 6, 003 refugees from Russia, 3039 from Vietnam, and 2792 refugees from Iran (among refugees from many other countries).

Today, 35, 000 non-citizens serve in the armed forces, while 100 non-citizens have died in Iraq and Afghanistan.

According to Census 2000, 62 % of all foreign born in the U.S. have at least a high school education. Almost one in every four immigrants has a bachelor’s or graduate degree, while one in every 10 foreign born has a master’s, professional, or doctorate degree.

Immigrants come from all walks of life and once they arrive, they follow innumerable paths.

When I tell most people that I'm a first generation immigrant, they have a hard time reconciling this with the mental image they have of a first generation immigrant. They usually comment that I am not "really" an immigrant or that I am so acculturated, I "might as well" be American. The truth is that I have a French passport, if I commit a felony I can be deported, and there is still a large - if largely invisible- cultural gap between myself and many U.S. citizens.

On the other hand, lots of people won't hesitate to assume that an Asian-American or Latino is a recent immigrant. People ask, "Where are you from?" expecting the response to include an impoverished third world nation. In fact, these individuals are often
U.S. citizens with firm roots in their communities. This mentality speaks to a deeply ingrained prejudice in the U.S. psyche. For many, an immigrant MUST be poor, uneducated, and a minority. Most also expect immigrants to be male, single, and a manual laborer.

We hear this stereotype a lot but it is simply not representative. Many immigrants are poor; many are hard workers who believe in the American dream. Many are minorities, appropriately reflecting the diversity of all nations. Many speak little English upon arriving; yet these individuals may be highly educated. A Brazilian accountant may work here as a carpenter. A Ukrainian doctor as an EMT.

The tendency for
U.S. citizens to view immigrants as one monolithic group - the "illegal" immigrant scrambling across the U.S.-Mexican border - is a dangerous one. It illustrates a lack of knowledge, a lack of imagination, and a lack of nuance. The world is not black and white. When nuances are stripped away, little room is left for dialogue or understanding. To see immigrants as a monolithic group, robs each individual immigrant of their identity. On the other hand, to respect the humanity of those arriving in the U.S. is to understand and appreciate their diversity.

References:
Department of Homeland Security : http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/statistics/
Migration Information Source: http://www.migrationinformation.org
Census Bureau: http://www.census.gov/

7 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Claire- this is a great piece! It reminded me that I need to edit my own post, because I wrote that we interns came from all over the country, not all over the world.

Maybe your post will help congress remember that they need to pass the DREAM act....

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From hamdan Alqudah:
The government is taking the immigration reform as a poitical tool not as aproblem that need to be solved. The issue rises every time there is a political scandal in washington.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this comment "Since Bush crony Julie Myers took over ICE, the agency has increasingly become known for its willingness to retaliate against immigrants who publicly discuss their situation in the United States. Arrests have been made after individuals spoke out on everything from immigration reform, to workplace rights, to the right to fair wages, to the right to report crimes without fear of retaliation." it makes you think as if wew are living in Syria, where freedom of speech is unheared of

12:50 PM  
Blogger Hamdan Alqudah said...

From Hamdan Alqudah- The government spends thousands of dollars in persecuting and deporting one legal immigrant. It is expected that the annual quota of H-1 B visas will be 65,000 visas this year. It does not make nay sense to deport people who are already present in the United States, spending so much tax payers’ money on prosecuting and deporting then, while permitting others to come in. Our immigration policies should reflect the interest of the country and not the interest of Microsoft.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Weezer said...

Regardless of how educated immigrants are or are not, this country was built on immigration- LEGAL and ILLEGAL. Do you really think every person who came here in 1900 had the proper "papers"?

While I applaud your efforts, there is no need to justify our existence- because our families went to Ivy league schools and were wealthy and came here legally....blah blah blah. The consequences to these fact are arbitrary, really. We came here legally because we had that opportunity. We went to fancy schools because we had that opportunity.

Incidentally, I came here at age 2, my parents were poor farmers, who went to school for 4 years and in one generation we have achieved all that you speak of. THAT is the American dream! Their American dream is no less valid than anyone else's!

The reality is that the US is becoming increasingly more xenophobic and our policies are an attempt to create an enemy under the guise of terrorism and racism.

You don't have to be "educated" to realize that.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, only because it proves my point, I have to clarify that my family came here legally (sheer luck!), from Europe AND were poor and uneducated (and white). What the US has, which is truly remarkable and unique, is "merit based" social mobility. THAT is why people come here. Because you actually can move forward. Accepting only a slice of the socio-economic pie into our country is ludicrous!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Weezer said...

Sorry, only because it proves my point, I have to clarify that my family came here legally (sheer luck!), from Europe AND were poor and uneducated (and white). What the US has, which is truly remarkable and unique, is "merit based" social mobility. THAT is why people come here. Because you actually can move forward. Accepting only a slice of the socio-economic pie into our country is ludicrous!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home