11.22.2006

Annual Meeting and Quaker "Movements"

Each one of us puts into the community his person and all his powers under the supreme direction of the General Will; and as a body, we incorporate every member as an indivisible part of the whole.

- Jean-Jacques Rousseau, "The Social Contract"


FCNL's Annual Meeting having concluded a week and a half ago, I have taken some time to reflect on the experience. Several things leapt out at me at the time, which I shared with others at the conference. Other thoughts have been bubbling up for a while and were reinforced that weekend. They are all thoughts in progress and gestation.

The assembled General Committee read, worked on, and approved FCNL's priorities for the 110th Congress. I was fascinated again by the clerking and conduct of our business meetings. These sessions were not framed as Meeting for Worship with a concern for business, but simply as business sessions. They were opened with silence. And they ended in silence. But the focus of the participants did not seem particularly centered.

Of course this doesn't apply to all the participants, but merely to what stood out in my mind. I spent much of the business session time trying to listen as deeply as possible to the spirit speaking through the gathered body, 200 Friends gathered to determine what the Religious Society of Friends is called to work on in the coming Congress. A Friend at the QUIT Torture Conference in Guilford this past spring posed the question, which I wrote on the back of my name tag and have posted at my desk, "Is this the product of Spirit?" I try to ask myself this in many of the choices and actions I take, especially where some amount of discernment should be required. This query arose in me many time as individuals rose to speak and contemplated the guidance of the clerks.

Now my little disclaimer: I'm not a clerk. I'm a convinced Friend with very little business meeting experience. Very little.

That said, here comes Jay's inevitable judgment:

I was surprised to find, in discussion of the priorities document, the personal and individual focus of many participants comments. The number of "I" statements was rather surprising. Many people were pushing their pet issues, and trying to attach them to the priorities document.

It reminds me of Congressional pork. At the end of the year, when Congress needs to pass the government's spending bills, Senators and Representatives line up to get their pet projects attached to the big bill which will be passed anyway, regardless of what pork is on it. Everyone knows that the giant bill to fund the military is going to pass, so why not attach your favorite road project to it?

Both processes seem to lack a maturity of focus. Congressional leaders don't guide Congress to focus on the purpose of the bill at hand. Just so, the elders and clerks of this meeting seemed to insufficiently frame the General Committee's deliberations and discussions of the Priorities. The question that was asked was, "we'll now open the floor to Friends' comments, questions and concerns." But we're not looking for individual Friends' comments or concerns unless those concerns rise to a level of conscience, are we? We're looking for what Friends are led to do in the next two years with regards to our federal government.

Shouldn't the frame be "Do Friends feel that this statement is an accurate reflection of the will of the General Committee as led by the holy spirit?" We're not looking for the amalgamation of individual wishes, but we're looking for what, as a corporate gathered people, we find to be our true leading. Where does the Light lead us, historically and currently, to devote our energy this year? Given limited resources, what should the staff be working on?

Now, many members of the General Committee were aware that those were the questions really before the group, and several spoke up and addressed it. But the overall tenor of the business sessions didn't change. Perhaps I am asking too much?

I'm not sure how this leads into the second topic. I keep thinking about the fragmentation of Quakerism into interest groups and organizations that have secularized our way of doing business. Quaker action isn't centered around the Monthly Meeting which tests leadings and labors with concerns before "going public". Now, Friends with particular interests insert themselves into a group of like-minded folk and have their own meetings and listservs and conferences. I think FCNL does a good job at trying to counter this through our Priorities setting process - we ask individual Meetings and other communities of Friends to go through a process within their groups to discern what should be FCNL's focus in the coming two years.

But I wonder if this is sufficient to discern what the Quaker movement should be devoting considerable resources to. Is it possible to be spirit-led in such conditions? John Woolman didn't have a distant Committee which he got to adopt and carry forth his concerns about slavery.

I guess I don't have a lot to add on that observation for now, other than that it's been occupying my mind for several weeks now. And that's not to mention the questions of what it means to be a "professional Quaker." Well, 'till next time, mind the Light!

10 Comments:

Blogger Imy Berry said...

I had much the same impression at Annual Meeting, but I asked myself a different question. I've heard that the neocons meet together and prioritize their issues much like the General Committee prioritized during Annual Meeting. Except I don't think they have 200 people in the room so it may just be the larger size which makes prioritizing so difficult.
Anyhow, the question I asked instead is, how do we take the passionate feelings of these General Committee members -- even those with pet issues outside FCNL's agenda -- and convince them to turn that passion on Congress? If they felt their issue was ignored this time around, can we convince them to advocate for the approved priorities to the point where we'll have room for some of those pet issues in the future? Wouldn't everyone like to see certain goals removed from the priorities list because we had accomplished them?

9:32 AM  
Blogger Gavin White said...

I did have a sense throughout the Annual Meeting that it felt very... secular. That said, it was still very different in tone and pacing from, say, a state party platform convention.

I have posted a four-page narrative report of my experiences at the annual meeting, as well as a one-page highly-condensed summary of that report.

Thanks for all your work!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Gavin, thanks for sharing your report!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An excellent, thoughtful posting. Many thanks for sharing it!

I've singled it out for attention on the "kindred souls" page of my journal site.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

Jay,

I hope you won't judge all Quaker organizations that have large decision-making bodies by your experience at FCNL.

Based on my positive experience of serving on FGC's Central Committee, I would guess that there are at least a few factors that go into helping a MfW for Business be grounded in the Spirit:

1. A clerks' team that is unafraid of insisting that Friends speak out of the silence with a sense of leading to speak. And making it clear, perhaps, by explaining certain elements of our practice, such as the difference between a leading and a passion or a "good notion."

2. A critical mass of Friends within the body that shares and comes under the weight of the same expectation and understanding of what a Spirit-led decision-making process can and "should" be like.

3. A willingness by Friends to let go of the current paradigm, and a willingness to restore the more traditional practices of listening together for the Guide; to test the sense of the meeting; to settle and resettle into waiting worship as many times as needed, for as long as needed.

I have heard that FGC's Central Committee made a commitment to #3 a few years before I myself was appointed. It must have taken one strong and faithful clerk, in addition to a strong and faithful general secretary and more than a few strong and faithful others in order for the 150+ members of the committee in the late 1990s to hold fast to their commitment.

My guess is I was experiencing the multi-year ripple effect of that commitment.

Now that I have observed one turn-over of clerks during my tenure, I already see how the style and gifts of the clerk can impact the groundedness of the body.

Anyway, all this to explain that I appreciate the questions that you are living with. Perhaps there is a way to invite Friends to be willing to be willing to listen more intently to the Spirit!

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

10:00 AM  
Blogger steve w. angell said...

I have a question for anyone who was at the Annual meeting. The FCNL Policy Committee for some time has been looking at John Woolman as someone who combined the inward and mystical leadings from God (a vital spirituality) with meaningful Spirit-led activism in addressing the evils of his age. I understand that Michael Birkel was there to address those issues at this year's Annual Meeting. Did anyone attend Birkel's address? Any impressions of it? Thanks for anything you can share about this.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Liz, thank you for your post. I'd like to hear more of your or others' take on your point #3: the "current paradigmn". Do you have any posts that you could link to? What do you see exactly as the current paradigm?

Also, Steven, thanks for stopping by the office the other week! It was good to see you again. You can listen to an MP3 recording of Michael's talk here if you're interested. My comment about the talk was that I thought it was wonderful, though I don't feel that it necessarily reached people in a deep place. But it did recieve rave reviews from attendees.

-Jay

1:57 PM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

Jay,

You ask me to say a bit more about what I see as "the current paradigm," to which I refer in my earlier comment.

Every Quaker meeting and every Quaker organization has its own "current paradigm" and its own flavor of participating in Spirit-led corporate decision making. So my comment was referring to the need for Friends who are detached from tradition business practices and processes to be willing to let go of the paradigm they are currently engaged in, in order to return to a decision-making in the traditional manner of Friends.

In the case of FCNL, I would point to your own description of FCNL's paradigm. During the discussion of priorities, you noted in particular the

"personal and individual focus of many participants comments. The number of 'I' statements was rather surprising. Many people were pushing their pet issues, and trying to attach them to the priorities document."

Even looking at the photo you included says something about the paradigm in place--or at the very least, the paradigm or the practice that is NOT in place: that of sitting in waiting worship. These Friends are clearly doing neither. They are standing in a line, waiting to have their turn at the microphone.

In a meeting for worship, and meetings for worship with attention to business, we do not "wait our turn." We wait to be called upon by the Holy Spirit.

The clerk of one yearly meeting in particular has cautioned Friends to return to listening for God's prompt after each Friend has addressed an item, rather than assume that they are "next." In this way, Friends are called to return to the disciplines of waiting and testing if they are called to speak.

All that aside, the concern that I have been reading and writing about has more to do with the in-creeping of American individualism into Liberal Quakerism, and the secularization of our faith.

Some of this in-creeping is evidenced by what you point out: the use of "I" statements rather than a language of "we" or "us," which would reflect our movement and our listening together.

Other forms of secularization occur, too, such as spending time reflecting on what the lead story in the newspaper was, or what we heard on public radio.

Quakerism is a faith tradition based on removing elements that are not of God or that interfere with our ability to know God's will for us. When we don't fill that space with (occasional) explicit instruction about what worship is or isn't, how business is or isn't conducted, then it allows for many of us to begin using what is incorrectly perceived as a blank slate for whatever our own individual needs are--knitting, Buddhist meditation, journal writing, reading, or promoting our own pet projects.

Does this help?

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

12:48 PM  
Blogger David Korfhage said...

I've gotten the impression, based on my experiences at business meetings, that many Friends don't really think of them as "meetings for worship with a concern for business." Clerking makes a difference, but as Liz suggests, the Friends in attendance also have to have a shared sense of what it means to participate in business meeting, as a Spirit-Led activity.

Interestingly enough, the latest report from the General Secretary of NYYM, which I have just read, touches on exactly this. I'll just quote him: "We understand that our clerks put themselves under holy obedience to serve the body in their role as clerk. But I find that we do not have a similar understanding about our role as a member of the body—that this, too, requires voluntarily assuming holy obedience to the Divine, and a surrender of ourselves to the corporate process. It is this incomplete understanding of what constitutes effective participation as a part of the body, rather than lack of good clerking, which most frequently contributes to the ineffectiveness of our laboring together. We need to better distinguish where our urge to contribute comes from, especially in the more subtle shades of motivation."

Perhaps you were seeing a variation on that, Jay?

David

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful comments!

Jay from the moment I first read this essay, there was a stirring in the back of my conscience, saying I needed to write my own essay responding to (and supporting!) yours.

I finally wrote it, and it's posted with a link back to your essay -- here.

I sincerely hope it helps.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home