9.29.2009

My belated introduction

This is my belated introduction post to the intern blog.

I joined FCNL at the beginning of September, along with all of the other new interns, and I have been quietly settling in to my job as assistant to the Executive Secretary, Joe Volk. After about one month here, I can confidently say that I've already learned a great deal and I'm having a great time.

I spent last summer in DC through the University of California Washington, D.C. program (UCDC). UCDC gives University of California students the chance to come to DC and live here (in a beautiful building steps from the White House) for a quarter while taking classes and interning for the organization of their choice. I interned for Representative Alcee Hastings (FL), and was just absolutely blown away by how much I loved DC.

My internship in Rep. Hastings' office was one of the most positive experiences of my college career. I had fantastic opportunities while interning: I attended hearings, briefings, and committee markups; I wrote constituent response letters about animal rights, the Americans with Dissabilities Act, and the foreclosure crisis; I even got to help draft a floor statement. For someone like me who loves politics and the political process, I was in paradise. At the end of the summer, I knew that I wanted to come back to DC after I graduated from UC Davis.

One of the things I loved most about the city was the abundance of culture right at my fingertips and at no cost. I spent hours with my friends in the Smithsonian museums, the US Botanic Gardens, the National Gallery of Art, and all of the various monuments that can be enjoyed by everyone for free.

Hopefully, in the coming months, I will be able to blog about some of my favorite museums in DC and exhibits that I think would be worth checking out.

-Lacey


Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home