11.05.2008

Why I'm excited about 2012 and 2016 and 2020...

Around 6pm, this picture was sent to my cellphone. It was sent by my younger sister in California, who had just voted in her first presidential election. For the rest of the night, we called and text messaged each other as she kept me up to date on how some major California propositions turned out and I tried to describe the craziness that is Washington, DC on election night.

I have been incredibly proud of my sister throughout the election season as I watched her research candidates and become invested in the election by volunteering for campaigns that she believed in. I've been thinking about her a lot lately as I've watched youth and young adults in my neighborhood show more excitement, dedication and knowledge about this election than I have ever seen before.

Here is a small sample of some interactions that I had that make me particularly hopeful for the future:

  • Overhearing a group of highschool students in a heated discussion over which candidate has a better economic plan.
  • Seeing 13 and 14 year old kids wearing campaign buttons around my neighborhood
  • Riding the metro home from work on election day and overhearing a conversation between two young adults that are seated in front of me. The woman asks the man who he voted for and he says he didn't vote. "Well, you have to!" she replies, "Let's go right now!"
  • Hearing that the fish market a block from my house was packed with teenagers on the final debate night, who were all attentively watching the TV.

As I listened to my sister laugh about the election results that went her way, and cry about the ones that didn't, I knew that this election wasn't a one time event for her and that she would continue to be active in her government not just on election day, but every day. I have faith that the youth and young adults who were enchanted by this historic election have now begun a lifetime of active and informed citizenship.

And what about those teenagers that walked to the local fish shop so that they could watch the debates?

In four years, they will all be able to vote.

I cannot wait to see what they do.

Email the Author Del.icio.us Digg Facebook

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Christine -- this is a beautiful post, and one of the examples of why this was a magical election.

Thank you.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home