9.19.2008

a deeper understanding of community

Email the Author | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook

Yesterday, the new interns had a Quaker 101 lunch session. (Only one out of 5 of us is actually Quaker) and halfway through, I must admit that I was a bit cynical.....okay... maybe a bit jealous. How in the world does one get a couple hundred Quakers in a room to make controversial decisions on issues that most people wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole? Things like sexual orientation and abortion rights only get whispered about in very trusted circles in my own denomination. Could Quakers be any different? I mean, really?

Right before I opened my mouth to voice this "gotcha" question, Ruth Flower told us that decisions like these, while by no means easy and without some controversy, are handled with the utmost care. Valuing the importance of seeing the divine in everyone and knowing that not one person absolutely knows The Truth -- that we all must come together in community and listen is quite remarkable. We all must recognize our opinions, state them in a respectful manner, but in the end let them go.

Wow. What an amazing trust in community. What astounding faith in something larger than "me". I think I could use a little more of that as I work together with this amazing group of people to bring more good in the world.

I love my new job.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Karyn, what a great post!

Of all the wonderful things that I've learned from the Quakers at FCNL (and before that at Earlham) the thing that I value the most is that amazing 'trust in community.'

I'm definitely still learning how to express and then let go of my own wishes and concerns, but I've really come to believe that it's the correct way to make group decisions. My experience with quaker-style consensus been a wonderful background to bring to conflicts in my own faith tradition (oh catholic consensus-making, what a strange creature you are!) and it's the glue behind my co-op house (even though we no longer have any self-identified quakers at the house!).

So... yeah... thanks Friends!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home