2.20.2008

A Prayer

Recently, my roommate overheard two young, college-aged girls talking about Obama’s charm during which one girl loudly pointed out that Hitler was also powerfully charismatic. I guess, according to this Hillary fan, electing the charming Obama would be tantamount to the Germans supporting Hitler. At the same time, I’ve heard my Obama friends describe Hillary as though she has spent her entire career killing babies and feeding them to corporate conglomerates. Admittedly, I can’t vote so it’s easy for me to say: People, let’s take a deep breath! My God, to hear Democrats talk about their favorite candidate these days is like listening to O’Reilly or Lou Dobbs on their daily rants. And I don’t mean that as a compliment!

Can we please step back and take a look at the big picture? Do we really want to dredge up historic race and gender battles that pit disenfranchised groups against each other?

I can’t vote but I can still pray – so I’m praying that regardless of who the Democratic nominee is a groundswell of democratic fervor will stomp out this ridiculous in-party bickering and sweep the most qualified nominee into the White House. To those of you who can vote, I hope you keep my prayer in mind come November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home