3.08.2006

It's the little things

It is so easy to get caught up in the daily grind of mundane tasks that are a part of every job that I sometimes forget to step back and appreciate the little things that make this moment in my life so exciting.

Things like the strange convergence of events that brought me to FCNL five months ago. The intelligence, creativity, and passion of the people I work with. That even the mundane uninspiring tasks I am assigned are helping to spread a message that I truly believe in to people around the country. Wondering where this internship will take me next. The red buds blossoming on the maple tree just outside my window on bright almost-spring day.

Today as I was walking back from a rather useless House hearing I passed bus loads of school children disembarking in front of the U.S. Supreme Court and smiled because I realize how strangely and narcissistically beautiful this city is to me. There are times when I am rushing from one place to the next when I am suddenly struck by the magnificent architecture that houses these institutions, or feel a shiver of excitement as I pass Sen. Lugar in the hallways of the Hart building, or am amazed and somewhat dismayed by the people that I encounter that believe that Washington, DC is the epicenter of the world. And yet I feel at home here. DC is one of those paradoxical places that awes me and comforts me at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home